Point Light and the “Triangle of Fire”

Seventy-year-antique former sea captain Osmore H Morgan turned into the primary keeper. He had spent the prior fourteen years as head keeper at the New Dungeness Lighthouse. His daughter, Nettie Race took over after his passing in 1907. A few months later Axel Rustad become appointed keeper and he and spouse Karen took over. They stayed for ten years raising four sons inside the keepers quarters. The best water for the circle of relatives turned into rain water amassed and stored in a 5,000-gallon redwood tank which become located in a shed in the back of the house.

In July 1903 the North Pacific, a side wheel steamer struck Craven Rock off Marrowstone Point in a dense fog. The steamer had 14 passengers aboard who have been taken to shore by way of lifeboats and the tug boat C. B. Smith. Lighthouse keeper Morgan fed and sheltered them until they had been taken aboard the steamer Mainlander which had run aground on Marrowstone Point that same morning but was afloat once more at excessive tide. The North Pacific was a total loss as it sank in deep water.

In 1907 creation of Fort Flagler turned into completed. Fort Flagler joined with the guns at Fort Casey on Admiralty Head and the guns at Fort Worden near Point Wilson to shape a “Triangle of Fire” to save you enemy vessels from getting into Puget Sound

Dense fog triggered any other mishap in August 1908. The 502-foot-lengthy armored cruiser USS Colorado ran aground on Liplip Point the southeast tip of Marrowstone Island. This incident cast mild at the want for more navigational aids in Puget Sound. On October 22, 1913 Congress appropriated $30,000 for upgrades.

Marrowstone Point obtained a new fog signal and mild in 1914. An experimental acetylene gun became set up in a wood constructing thirteen yards northeast of the bell tower and took the location of the fog bell. Mariners had been asked to file the efficiency of the gun to the lighthouse inspector in Portland.

A new acetylene gun become set up atop a concrete structure simply months later. At the identical time, the mild become changed from a hard and fast crimson to a brief crimson flashes each six seconds. The acetylene fog gun was the primary of its type to be used within the United States.

Several enhancements have been made over the years until 1962 while it became computerized. In 1972 the Coast Guard transferred the property to the Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to be used as a studies facility. The keepers house is now used as a visitor residence for scientists who visit the Marrowstone Marine Field Station.